This post is sponsored by Sargento; however, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Back-to-school season is upon us which means the kids and I are running last minute errands and squeezing in all the summer activities and adventures before school begins in just a few short weeks. Grey will be starting second grade this year and is most excited to see his class- mates (extrovert at heart) and Roux will be starting preschool this year and is most excited to know what I am going to be packing in her lunch box every day (she is definitely my daughter). I know that once the school season starts and we enroll the kids in extracurricular activities, our schedules are going to get real crazy, real fast, so I am jumping on the meal prep bandwagon and making sure the kiddos are eating well this school year (both on the playground and at home).
If you’ve got a house full of cheese lovers, you know the desire for cheese at every meal is a real thing. My kiddos could eat cheese all day, every day if I let them. And since cheese is used in so many of our recipes, we love using a brand that we can trust, Sargento. Sargento Foods is a family-owned business that is passionate about providing delicious natural cheese to family tables everywhere. Sargento® cheese is a cheese that your kiddos will be begging for (win-win).
Sargento® Cheese Slices (especially Colby-Jack) are a big hit in our home. They are conveniently sliced from blocks of real, natural cheese to add delicious flavor to all of your kiddo’s favorite meals. Each slice melts perfectly and its flavor, quality, and taste do not disappoint. Here are some of our favorite ways to enjoy Sargento® Cheese Slices:
- Cheese stuffed pretzel bites (recipe below)
- Grilled cheese, ham, and pineapple paninis
- Egg & cheese bagel sandwiches
- Chicken and cheese ranch wraps
- BLT grilled cheese sandwiches
- Grilled cheese roll ups
- Ham and cheese crescents
- Turkey club sandwiches
- Philly cheesesteaks
Now get ready for one of the yummiest, cheesiest, recipes to date! These cheese stuffed pretzel bites are loaded with Sargento® Colby-Jack Cheese Slices and baked to perfection! They’re the perfect size for tiny fingers and your cheese lovers (and their friends) will go crazy for them! We love eating them around the table, on the go, and this year I plan to pack them in the kids’ lunch boxes!
Cheese Stuffed Pretzel Bites
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp sugar
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 packages Sargento® Colby-Jack Cheese Slices 1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup baking soda
1 large egg
Coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Pour water into a stand mixer bowl, sprinkle yeast over top, add sugar and stir. Allow yeast to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut 18 Sargento® Cheese Slices in half, giving you 36 pieces.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over medium to high heat.
- In another bowl, beat egg and 2 tbsp water. Set aside. Sprinkle a countertop surface with a little flour.
- Add flour and salt to sugar and yeast mixture. Knead for 3-5 minutes. The dough should come together in a ball. If dough feels too sticky, you can add a little more flour.
- Place dough on floured countertop and knead for an additional 1-2 minutes. Form dough into a ball. Cut this ball into 36 (somewhat) even pieces or use a kitchen scale to ensure all pieces are the same size.
- Roll each piece of dough into a ball and flatten it so that you can place 1/2 cheese slice in the center. Carefully pull each side over the cheese and then roll the dough into a ball. You’ll want to make sure no cheese is sticking out.
- Carefully add baking soda to boiling water. Gently place dough balls into water (3-5 at a time).
- Remove after 30-45 seconds. Place on baking sheet to cool and repeat.
- Place all pretzel balls on baking sheet. Brush egg wash mixture onto each one and sprinkle with course sea salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
You can find Sargento® products here.