Did you know you can make homemade playdough in 5 minutes with everyday ingredients found in your kitchen? We’ve tried many playdough recipes over the years and always come back to this recipe. And since our kids love glitter, we’ve found that it’s super fun to add a little (or a lot!) of sparkle to our batches. This homemade glitter playdough recipe is simple to make, the perfect texture (soft and smooth), and will keep those tiny hands busy for months (or sooner if you’re itching to make a new batch!)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup salt
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- Food coloring (we love using Color Kitchen)
- Stir together flour, salt, and cream of tartar in a bowl.
- Mix water and oil in large pot and then add dry ingredients.
- Cook ingredients over low heat, mixing frequently. The dough will get smoother as it cooks.
- Continue stirring until the dough thickens.
- Remove from heat and place dough onto wax paper.
- Allow to cool and knead until smooth. If your dough feels too dry, add a few drops of oil. If it feels too sticky, add a little flour.
- If you’re adding colors, divide the dough into equal balls and place each dough in a ziploc bag. Add 3-5 drops of color and knead the dough while inside the bag to keep your fingers from getting stained.
- Now for the fun: add as little or as much glitter as you’d like. You can find loose glitter almost anywhere but I linked some of our favorites here.
- Store in an airtight container or ziploc bag.
Hope you enjoy our simple homemade glitter playdough recipe.